Saturday, August 4, 2012

Scripture Cases


I may have mistakenly announced during the introduction to my talk on Sunday a few weeks past that I enjoy sewing. Well one of our elders came up that day and asked if I would sew him some scripture cases. I said of course but I was nervous. I've never made anything like this. I didn't have a pattern and he had some kind of specific ideas :)
I told him I'd do my best and he brought me fabric, a native american blanket and some zippers. I also didn't have his scriptures, just a paper tracing. 

I spent some time thinking and then decided to get to work. These details are probably not nearly detailed enough to make your own off of, I'm not that good at explaining sewing. Sorry :(

I first folded over an edge of the jean and ironed some iron on facing to the inside of the fold and then sew to keep it nice and flat.
Then cut out the outline for the main piece, making sure to center the pattern. Then I just stay stitched the pockets to the ends of the main blanket piece.

I then sewed the zipper all around (doing the corners was tricky the first time, the second time was much faster).
Finally I sewed black double fold bias tape on. This worked great with a normal sewing foot. NOT the walking foot. I guess each has their place. 
I whipped out the second case in a fraction of the time of the first!


He requested that this patch from the blanket be included on the Book of Mormon case pocket. 
I'm glad he asked me, it was a great experiment but it really ups the stakes when it's a project for someone else! Glad it's done.

1 comment:

  1. wow they turned out great!! you did such a good job meems.

    ReplyDelete