Monday, February 13, 2012

Turkey Shirt

This was a project from November but I decided to post it in February in case anyone want's to get a jump-start on next Thanksgiving :)

Find a brown shirt and fun ribbon. You can use a rainbow of colors or just a few colors.
My "snowman" turkey. 
I cut the shape out free hand

Start to make loops with your ribbon. I did one of each on each side to make it look symmetrical
Keep adding. I cut the pieces of ribbon and used a dot of hot glue to keep it together as a loop and then moved the loops around behind the turkey.
Cut out a second turkey shape in iron-on backing.
Oh and I sewed a funny little beak on the turkey's face. 
Something I would have done different would be to sew the eyes here now.



I was debating over the loops facing in or out... I decided to have them facing like this.

To finish up, I decided I wanted to keep this brown shirt just a plain brown shirt after thanksgiving so I didn't iron on or glue anything to the shirt. I just glued the ribbons with hot glue to the back of the turkey. I then sewed around the turkey's body with a stitch that could be easily cut out after Thanksgiving!

Sorry, no picture of the eyes. To make them I just marked where I wanted them with a pen, and set my sewing machine (with black thread) to the shortest stitch length and went back and forth until I had a "dot" for the eye. 

Wa La! A Turkey-Day shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment